What is preventive maintenance compliance?

Preventive Maintenance

In simple terms, preventive maintenance compliance (PMC) is the percentage of preventive maintenance work orders that were executed within schedule. But since nothing is quite this straightforward in facility management, today we’ll explain how to calculate the preventive maintenance compliance score, which rule of thumb should you follow and why PMC is so important to keep your company firing on all cylinders.

How to Calculate the Preventive Maintenance Compliance Score

There are 4 steps to calculate the preventive maintenance compliance score. Let’s break them down:

  1. Define a preventive maintenance plan and a list of tasks to be performed per asset;
  2. Execute the preventive maintenance plan during the established time period;
  3. Monitor the number of tasks completed on time;
  4. Calculate the percentage of maintenance work orders completed within schedule.

Attention! Achtung! It’s not enough to know whether the preventive maintenance tasks were completed or not. It’s important to know which ones were actually completed on time and when. Try to ensure that all preventive maintenance work is done ahead of schedule. It’s a good idea to follow the 10% rule of thumb, i.e., if you’re given 100 days to complete a maintenance task, try to do it at least 10 days ahead of schedule.

Why is this 10% golden rule so important in preventive maintenance?

The 10% rule didn’t come out of nowhere. We know that even at peak performance “only” 90% of maintenance tasks are preventive. The remaining 10% is corrective maintenance due to failures that can’t be predicted. So this rule of thumb ensures that your team has room for maneuver in case there are any unexpected failures — without compromising the preventive maintenance of all other assets.

An 80/20 ratio — 80% preventive maintenance, 20% corrective maintenance — should still be manageable. At least if your MTTR (mean time to repair) and MTBF (mean time between failures) are both healthy. However, it’s best not to take risks. If you don’t comply with the preventive maintenance plan, you risk accumulating dozens of problems and irreparably harming the operation of the company.

Now that you know how to calculate preventive maintenance compliance and set the goals for this indicator, you just need to design the preventive maintenance plan itself. To do this, count on the help of a CMMS like Infraspeak. Plan and delegate all tasks in the Preventive Maintenance app and review the results in the Indicators app. Let’s get to work!